WeaponSpecs
Breaking policy August 17, 2026 · WeaponSpecs News Desk

Trump Cuts Ulchi Freedom Shield Drills Hours Before Launch

Trump ordered Hegseth to scale back the 11-day US-South Korea exercise, citing cost and his rapport with Kim Jong Un, hours before it began.

Multinational augmentee troops on an orientation visit to the Joint Security Area at Panmunjom during a prior US-South Korea combined exercise

Cpl. Seongho Park, U.S. Army, DVIDS, public domain. This photo is from Freedom Shield 2026, the March iteration of the twice-yearly US-South Korea exercise series, not the August Ulchi Freedom Shield referenced in this story.

President Trump ordered Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” US participation in Ulchi Freedom Shield 2026 hours before the 11-day combined exercise with South Korea began Aug. 17, citing the drill’s cost and his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

What Trump ordered

Trump posted the directive to Truth Social on the evening of Aug. 16, telling Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the US role in Ulchi Freedom Shield 2026, the annual combined exercise that was scheduled to run Aug. 17-27, according to NPR, Al Jazeera, NBC News, and PBS NewsHour. The order landed the same day the drill was set to begin, leaving the Pentagon almost no runway to redesign a training schedule that both militaries had already spent months building around.

Trump gave three stated reasons: the exercise’s cost, North Korea being “unthreatening and respectful” under a relationship with Kim Jong Un he described as strong, and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung declining to help the United States on a separate matter Trump referred to as the “Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran.” That last point produced the most pointed line in his post.

“I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’” said President Trump, via Truth Social, cited by NPR, PBS NewsHour, and NBC News (Aug. 16-17, 2026).

What actually gets cut is still unclear

As of Aug. 17, the Pentagon had not specified which field-training sequences, live-fire events, or targeting drills within the 11-day program would be trimmed or dropped. South Korea’s Ministry of National Defense, for its part, said the exercise would proceed as previously scheduled on its own side, meaning the ambiguity sits entirely with how far US forces pull back their participation, not with whether the drill happens at all.

That distinction matters more than the headline “US-South Korea exercise cut” suggests. Roughly 18,000 South Korean troops take part in Ulchi Freedom Shield itself, a figure that is separate from, and much smaller than, the 28,500 US troops permanently stationed in South Korea under US Forces Korea (USFK). Trump’s order reduces US involvement in this year’s drill script; it does not touch the standing garrison that forms the actual day-to-day deterrent on the peninsula. Conflating the two numbers would overstate what changed on Aug. 16.

US Army Indirect Fire Protection Capability air-defense system emplaced at a training site during Freedom Shield 26 on Camp Humphreys, South Korea
A U.S. Army Indirect Fire Protection Capability Inc 2 system, assigned to Echo Battery, 6-52 Air Defense Battalion, 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, emplaced at a training site during Freedom Shield 26 on Camp Humphreys, South Korea, March 16, 2026. Photo: Sgt. Joseph Liggio, U.S. Army, DVIDS, public domain.

A reversal in tone from three months ago

The order is a notable shift from where the Pentagon’s own messaging stood as recently as May 2026, when Hegseth praised South Korea’s “commitment to increase defense spending” and its “leadership in assuming primary responsibility” for peninsula security. Cutting back the marquee joint exercise months later, over cost and a warmer read on North Korea’s intentions, runs against that framing without the administration walking it back explicitly. The desk is not overplaying that contrast, only noting that the tone changed materially in a short window.

Why Ulchi Freedom Shield exists

Ulchi Freedom Shield traces back to 1968, adopted in the aftermath of North Korea’s Blue House Raid, and has been renamed several times since, most recently taking its current name in 2023. It is the larger of the two annual combined US-South Korea exercises, the other being Freedom Shield each March, and rehearses a full-scale-war scenario spanning land, sea, air, cyber, and space. Scaling back US participation in the August iteration, rather than the smaller spring drill, touches the exercise cycle’s biggest annual test of that full-domain coordination.

The backdrop: a North Korean test five days earlier

The scale-back comes five days after North Korea tested a ballistic missile with a flight distance of more than 700 kilometers from the Wonsan area on Aug. 12, a launch WeaponSpecs covered in its own reporting on the test and its timing ahead of the drills. That story is not being re-reported here; it is useful background because it shows North Korea already signaling around this year’s exercise cycle before Washington altered its own posture toward it. Whether Pyongyang reads a reduced US role as an opening or as confirmation that its pressure campaign around the drills works is not something any source reviewed for this story has addressed on the record.

Sources

  1. Trump orders Pentagon to scale back military exercises with South Korea — NPR, Aug 17, 2026
  2. Trump says US to 'substantially' reduce military drills with South Korea — Al Jazeera, Aug 17, 2026
  3. Trump orders administration to 'substantially reduce' joint exercises with South Korea — NBC News, Aug 17, 2026
  4. Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea — PBS NewsHour, Aug 17, 2026
  5. Ulchi Freedom Shield 26: US-South Korea joint military exercise to launch — UPI, Aug 10, 2026
  6. North Korea reaction context ahead of Ulchi Freedom Shield 2026 — Khan (경향신문), Aug 14, 2026

Frequently asked questions

Why did Trump order the drills scaled back? +

In an Aug. 16 Truth Social post, Trump cited the exercise's cost, his 'very good relationship' with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung's declining to help the US on what Trump called the 'Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran.'

Is Ulchi Freedom Shield 2026 still happening? +

Yes. South Korea's Ministry of National Defense said the drills would proceed as previously scheduled on its side. The reduction applies to US participation; as of Aug. 17 the Pentagon had not specified which field-training or targeting sequences would be cut.

How many troops are actually involved? +

Roughly 18,000 South Korean troops take part in the 11-day exercise itself. That is separate from the 28,500 US troops permanently stationed in South Korea under US Forces Korea, a baseline garrison the scale-back does not affect.

What is Ulchi Freedom Shield? +

It is the larger of two annual combined US-South Korea exercises (Freedom Shield each March, Ulchi Freedom Shield each August), tracing back to 1968 and renamed several times since, most recently in 2023. It trains a full-scale-war scenario across land, sea, air, cyber, and space.

More news