Lebanese Army Deploys in First Ceasefire 'Pilot Zone'
Lebanese Armed Forces troops entered Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh on July 21 as Israeli forces withdrew, the first real test of a US-brokered framework meant to replace Israeli occupation and Hezbollah's arms with exclusive Lebanese Army control of southern Lebanon.
U.S. Central Command photo, public domain, via DVIDS
Lebanese Armed Forces troops entered Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh on July 21 as Israeli forces withdrew from the southern Lebanese town, the first territorial handover under a US-brokered “pilot zone” framework designed to replace both Israeli occupation and Hezbollah’s arms with exclusive Lebanese Army control of the south. It is the first real-world test of a mechanism that, on paper, is supposed to end nearly two years of contested, partial ceasefire enforcement since Israel and Hezbollah’s fighting wound down.
Lebanese Army units said they deployed “based on ongoing communications with the Military Co-ordination Group for Lebanon,” according to The National’s reporting from the ground. Engineering teams immediately began surveying roads and residential buildings for unexploded ordnance, the army’s stated first priority, and had started detonating discovered munitions in place by the afternoon. Authorities urged the town’s displaced residents not to attempt to return until the area is declared secure.
A town more than half destroyed
Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh’s mayor described the scale of destruction his town’s returning soldiers are working through. More than a year of fighting between Hezbollah and Israel, compounded by Israeli demolitions carried out during the occupation, left most of the town unlivable even before anyone can safely move back in.
“More than half the town had been destroyed,” said Abed Ezzeddin, mayor of Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh, describing the town’s condition to the wire service (SRN News, July 21, 2026).
Ezzeddin added that the remaining structures had suffered severe damage as well, and questioned how safely residents could return given that Israeli forces remain in neighboring Zawtar al-Sharqiyeh, a town he said is only about a five-minute walk away and closely linked to Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh.
The framework’s real test: LAF control, not Hezbollah’s
The pilot-zone mechanism traces back to a framework agreement reached in Washington on June 26, under which Israeli forces are to withdraw from southern Lebanon in phases while the Lebanese Army deploys to take exclusive security control, including confiscating weapons from Hezbollah. Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh is one of three initial pilot zones named in the deal; the other two, Froun and Srifa, were reportedly already clear of Israeli forces before their own transfers, meaning Tuesday’s handover in Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh, where Israeli troops had to actually withdraw rather than simply confirm an existing absence, is the first genuine test of the withdrawal half of the bargain.
Hezbollah has rejected the framework outright. The group and its ally Amal argue the pilot-zone plan is a vehicle to preserve an Israeli presence in the south while working toward disarming what they call the resistance, and Hezbollah has said any arrangement for Lebanon should be linked to broader negotiations between Washington and Tehran. It has not said whether it intends to physically obstruct implementation in the designated zones, leaving the framework’s central premise, that the Lebanese Army rather than Hezbollah becomes the exclusive security authority in the south, untested against the group’s actual response on the ground.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam visited the town the following day and symbolically planted a national flag in the rubble, framing the moment as the start of a longer process rather than its conclusion.
“What we are witnessing today is only the beginning but we are determined and steadfast,” said Nawaf Salam, Lebanese prime minister, during a visit to Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh (The National, July 22, 2026).
Salam also reiterated that Beirut’s actual goal extends well beyond the three pilot zones. “We have affirmed from the outset that our goal is the complete Israeli withdrawal from all our territories,” he said, according to the same report, a reminder that the current handover covers a small fraction of the ground Lebanon considers still occupied.
The friction the framework was built to survive
The fragility of the arrangement showed almost immediately. Israeli forces fired warning shots near the newly deployed Lebanese units after personnel reportedly crossed roughly 150 meters into an area Israel still claims near neighboring Zawtar al-Sharqiyeh, breaching barriers in the process. No injuries were reported, and Lebanese forces withdrew from that specific stretch of ground, according to SRN News’ wire report. It is a single, contained incident rather than a confirmed pattern, but it lands against a grim backdrop: The National’s coverage of Salam’s visit noted that at least 30 Lebanese soldiers have been killed by Israeli fire since March, even as the broader ceasefire has technically held.
Sources
- Lebanese army enters Zawtar Al Gharbiyeh after Israeli withdrawal under pilot scheme — The National, Jul 21, 2026
- Lebanese army enters southern town after Israeli withdrawal, in first test of US-brokered deal — SRN News (AP wire), Jul 21, 2026
- Lebanese PM hails 'beginning of Israeli withdrawal' from country in visit to pilot zone — The National, Jul 22, 2026
Frequently asked questions
What exactly happened in Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh? +
Lebanese Armed Forces troops entered the southern Lebanese town on July 21, 2026, after Israeli forces withdrew, marking the first town-level handover under a US-brokered 'pilot zone' framework agreed in Washington on June 26, 2026. Lebanese engineering teams immediately began surveying for unexploded ordnance, which the army has made its first priority before any civilian return.
How badly damaged is the town? +
Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh's mayor, Abed Ezzeddin, said more than half the town was destroyed and the remaining structures suffered severe damage, leaving it uninhabitable for now, from fighting between Hezbollah and Israel and demolitions carried out by Israeli forces during the occupation.
What is the pilot-zone framework supposed to achieve? +
Under the June 26 Washington framework agreement, Lebanese Armed Forces are meant to take exclusive security control of designated southern zones, including confiscating weapons from Hezbollah, while Israeli forces carry out a phased withdrawal. Zawtar al-Gharbiyeh is one of three initial pilot zones; the other two, Froun and Srifa, were reportedly already empty of Israeli forces before their transfer.
Did Hezbollah agree to this? +
No. Hezbollah and its ally Amal have rejected the framework, arguing the pilot-zone plan is designed to preserve an Israeli presence in southern Lebanon while eventually disarming the group. Hezbollah has said any arrangement should be tied to broader US-Iran negotiations, but has not said whether it will physically resist implementation in the designated zones.
What happened with Israeli forces firing near the newly deployed Lebanese troops? +
Israeli forces fired warning shots after Lebanese personnel reportedly crossed roughly 150 meters into a zone Israel still claims near neighboring Zawtar al-Sharqiyeh. No injuries were reported, and Lebanese forces withdrew from that specific area. It remains an isolated, unresolved friction point rather than a confirmed pattern.
More news